Winter is definately here with terrible weather still blighting most of the UK this is a dangerous time for both shoppers and drivers writes Elena Price…

snow chaos
If you’re very unlucky and have an mishap because of snow or ice on a public highway, it could be possible to make a claim for  compensation.
We thought it prudent to re-publish the following information about what choices you have if you do have an accident that you think is because of the ice and snow and how you might seek the advice of a professionally qualified solicitor in order to understand how to go about making a personal injury claim.

Access Legal are part of Shoosmiths, a firm of solicitors that offer a wide range of legal services and have a team of dedicated personal injury solicitors

Accidents on the public highway will include most streets, pavements, roads and footpaths. The highway authority responsible for maintaining the public highway is under a duty to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that safe passage along a highway is not endangered by snow or ice.

An injured person may be able to claim compensation for injuries and losses sustained from the owners or occupiers of the land if  the accident occurs on private land due to snow or ice.

These could include accidents occurring awhilst shopping or on someone else’s land. The landowner/occupier has a duty take reasonable steps to ensure that those using the land or premises are reasonably safe in doing so.

If you have an accident at work due to snow or ice you may be able to claim compensation for injuries and losses sustained from the employer. The employer has a duty, so far as is reasonably practicable, to keep workplace traffic routes free from substances which may cause a person to trip, slip or fall.

If you’ve been injured in an accident due to snow or ice and require advice you need to consult with lawyers who can assess your claim for compensation.

All documents should be read and used in accordance with the terms and conditions. This document is for your general information only and is not a detailed statement of the law. It’s provided to you free of charge, and shouldn’t be used as a substitute for specific legal advice.

Reference: Original article, written by Access Legal